Last Updated: February 4th, 2021
Please note that the Services are operated in and targeted to consumers in the United States. The Services are not intended for residents of the European Union or Canada or any other country outside the United States. If you are located in the European Union, Canada or elsewhere outside of the United States, please be aware that we will transfer any information you provide to us to the United States and may store that information on servers in the United States.
QUICK GUIDE TO CONTENTS
- INFORMATION COLLECTION
- HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION COLLECTED
- SHARING OF INFORMATION
- YOUR CHOICES AND OPT-OUT
- CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
- CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
- SECURITY OF YOUR INFORMATION
- OTHER SITES
- DATA STORAGE
- CONTACT US
Information You Provide to Us
MEL collects information from you when you choose to share it with us. This includes when you use the Services, sign up for newsletters or our email list, use certain features on the Services, access, upload or download content, request customer support, or otherwise contact or communicate with us. The information we collect may include your name and e-mail address.
You may also choose to link to your Facebook, Twitter, or other social media account on the Services. When you do, we may automatically receive certain information from you based upon your privacy settings on those sites. This may include, but may not be limited to, name, user name, demographic information, updated address or contact information, location, interests, and publicly-observed data, such as from social media and online activity.
Information Collected Automatically
Whenever you visit or interact with the Services, MEL, or our service providers, may use a variety of technologies, such as cookies, web beacons, pixel tags, log files, or other technologies that automatically or passively collect information about your online activity.
Please note that we may automatically collect the following information about you:
Usage Information. We may collect information about your use of the Services, including the date and time you visit the Services, the areas or pages of the Services that you visit, the amount of time you spend viewing or using the Services, the number of times you return to the Services, other click-stream or site usage data, emails that you open, forward or click-through to our Services, and other sites that you may visit.
Device Information. We may automatically collect your IP address or other unique identifier or information from the computer, mobile device, tablet or other device you use to access the Services, including but not limited to your browser type, device type, operating system, software version, phone model, phone operating system, and the domain name from which you accessed the Services.
Third-Party Service Providers. We may use third-party service providers to support the Services. Some of these service providers may use technology such as cookies, web beacons, pixel tags, log files, or other technologies to receive, collect, and store information on our behalf.
Information Received From Other Third Parties
We may obtain information about you from other trusted third-party sources to update or supplement the information that you provide or that we collect automatically. We may also receive information about you from our partners and service providers, including, for example, analytics vendors, advertising networks and search information providers.
We may use this information to help us maintain the accuracy of the information we collect, and for internal business analysis or other business purposes.
Combination of Information
HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION COLLECTED
We may use the information about you for a variety of business or commercial purposes, including, for example, to:
- Respond to your questions or requests, and communicate with you when necessary;
- Review the usage and operations of our Services, develop new products or services and to enhance or improve our content, products, and services;
- Provide you with content, advertisements, offers and promotions offered by MEL or on behalf of our partners and affiliates on the Services, or to provide your with news and other information we think will be of interest to you on the Services or via email;
- Protect the security or integrity of the Services and our business, such as by protecting against and preventing fraud, claims and other liabilities, and managing risk exposure, including by identifying potential hackers and other unauthorized users;
- Use your data in an aggregated non-specific format for analytical or other business purposes; and
- Use your information for other purposes as disclosed at the time you provide your personal information or otherwise with your consent.
SHARING OF INFORMATION
MEL or you may share the information collected or generated through your use of the Services as described below.
Information You Share
The Services offer many ways to find, enjoy, and share content. Your activity in connection with the Services may include filling out surveys, participating in online communities, “liking” or “sharing” MEL content to your social media accounts or pages or otherwise interacting with the Services. Any information you may disclose on the Services, in blogs, on message boards, or on other public areas on the Services or on other third-party websites, applications, or services that the Services may link to, becomes public information. Please exercise caution when disclosing personal information in these public areas.
Information We Share
We may share the information collected from or about you in the following limited ways:
Third Party Service Providers. We may share your information with third-party service providers that provide business, professional or technical support functions on our behalf. This includes, but may not be limited to, service providers that host or operate the Services; payment processors; analytics vendors; customer service support; postal or delivery servicers, and service providers that sponsor or administer promotions.
Business Transfers. In the event that another entity acquires us or all or substantially all of our assets, or assets related to the Services, your information may be disclosed to such entity as part of the due diligence process and will be transferred to such entity as one of the transferred assets. Also, if any bankruptcy or reorganization proceeding is brought by or against us, all such information may be considered an asset of ours and as such may be sold or transferred to third parties. Finally, information described in this paragraph may also be disclosed for due diligence purposes in connection with any proposed transaction of the sorts described in this paragraph.
Aggregate or Anonymous Non-Personal Information. We may share aggregate or anonymous non-personal information with third parties for their business use.
YOUR CHOICES AND OPT-OUT
Cookies, Tracking Options and California Do Not Track Disclosures
Certain parts of the Services require cookies. You are free to set your browser or operating system settings to limit certain tracking or to decline cookies, but by doing so, you may not be able to use certain features of the Services or take full advantage of all of our offerings. Please refer to your device’s settings or your Internet browser’s “Help” section for more information on how to delete and/or disable your device or browser from receiving cookies or controlling your tracking preferences.
Our system may not respond to Do Not Track requests or headers from some or all browsers.
Access and Updates to Your Information
If you wish to verify, correct, or update any of your information, you can contact us at the e-mail in the “Contact Us” section below.
Unsubscribing From Our Marketing Communications
You can unsubscribe from our marketing email communications at any time by (1) unsubscribing or following the instructions contained within the email, or (2) contacting us at the e-mail provided in the “Contact Us” section below.
CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
California residents may also:
- Request, up to two times each year, that we disclose to you the categories and specific pieces of personal information that we have collected about you, the categories of sources from which your personal information is collected, the business or commercial purpose for collecting your personal information, the categories of personal information that we disclosed for a business purpose, and the categories of third parties with whom we have shared your personal information. (Note, we do not “sell” personal information as defined by California law.)
- Request that we delete any personal information that we have collected from or about you. Note that there are some reasons we will not be able to fully address your request, such as if we need to complete a transaction for you, to detect and protect against fraudulent and illegal activity, to exercise our rights, for our internal purposes, or to comply with a legal obligation.
- We collect the following categories of personal information: Identifiers/Contact Information, Commercial information, Internet or other electronic network activity information, geolocation, and inferences drawn from the above.
- We disclose the following categories of personal information for a business or commercial purpose: Identifiers/Contact Information, Commercial information, Internet or other electronic network activity information, geolocation, and inferences drawn from the above.
Protecting children’s privacy is important to us. We do not direct the Services to, nor do we knowingly collect any personal information from, children under the age of 16. If MEL learns that a child under the age of 16 has provided personal information through the Services, we will use reasonable efforts to remove such information from our files.
SECURITY OF YOUR INFORMATION
The Services may contain links to third-party websites, which may have privacy policies that differ from our own. We are not responsible for the practices of such sites.
Your personal information may be stored on servers in the United States and is subject to the laws of the United States, where the data protection and other laws may differ from those of your country of residence. Your personal information may be disclosed in response to inquiries or requests from government authorities or to respond to judicial process in the countries in which we operate.
Attn: MEL Industries Privacy Officer
13335 Maxella Ave., Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Alternatively, please go to melmagazine.com and click on the Contact Us link.