There comes a time in everyone’s quarantine when they inhale a handful of shrooms and sink into the couch for some quality TV. If your time has come, here’s what to watch on shrooms for wonderful happy times.
First of all, your safest bet is almost always: nothing. “From the wellness-oriented, ceremonial perspective, we’d never suggest watching TV while on mushrooms,” says Nicholas Levich, cofounder of Psychedelic Passage. “In the intentional-use context, the goal is to remove as much external stimuli as possible, except music, thus facilitating a journey inward. Plus, on high doses of psilocybin, watching anything on a screen can prove to be quite challenging and sometimes unenjoyable.”
But if you have a good handle on shrooms, and take a lower dose (less than a gram), that opens up your options. “From a recreational perspective, watching videos or shows can be very entertaining,” Levich says. “We suggest fractal visualizations like Electric Sheep, lighthearted movies and TV shows that you’ve seen before — comedy is great — nature documentaries (though be cognizant of violent scenes), philosophical talks and guided meditations. Our advice in this context is to choose something that feels right. Let your body guide you. You don’t like it? Switch to something else. You’re bound to find something enjoyable on YouTube or Netflix.”
- Read Next: How to Have a Good Trip on Shrooms
For more specific recommendations, I asked the fungus wranglers on r/shrooms. Here’s what to watch on shrooms, including some trippy shows on Netflix, according to them:
- A nature documentary. Again, so natural.
- Dream Corp LLC, an absurd comedy set in a neglected dream therapy facility. Trippy!
- Yellow Submarine, a musical adventure inspired by the Beatles, who were probably on shrooms while making it.
- Midnight Gospel, an animated series in which a spaceman traverses trippy worlds inside his universe simulator. Yep, that checks out.
- Koyaanisqatsi and Baraka, heavy documentaries about nature and technology. Beware, these are more serious choices.
- Wizard of Oz, a classic made even better by psychedelics.
- Off the Air, which, uh, just have a watch.
Have a great weekend in quarantine!